Purgatorio: A Journey into the Heart of the Border
Directed by: Rodrigo Reyes
Rodrigo Reyes’ provocative essay film re-imagines the Mexico/U.S. border as a mythical place comparable to Dante’s purgatory. Leaving politics aside, he takes a fresh look at the brutal beauty of the border and the people caught in its spell. By capturing a stunning mosaic of compelling characters and broken landscapes on the border, Reyes reflects on the flaws of human nature and the powerful absurdities of the modern world.
Purgatorio has screened at nearly 40 festivals around the world including the Los Angeles Film Festival, Vancouver International, Warsaw Film Festival and the prestigious Documentary Fortnight at New York’s Museum of Modern Art.
Purgatorio won the Jury Awards for Best Documentary at the New Orleans Film Festival as well as This Human World in Vienna. Rodrigo Reyes is a young, talented director who has been selected as part of the coveted 25 New Faces of Independent Film by Filmmaker Magazine and has been awarded by Tribeca Film Institute, Film Independent and NALIP.
- June 3, 2014 Detroit Film Festival - Ann Arbor, MI
- Sept 27, 2014 Milwaukee Film Festival - Milwaukee, WI
- Sept 28, 2014 Ray Stark Theater - USC - Los Angeles, CA
- Oct 3, 2014 Cinema Village - New York, NY
- Oct 4, 2014 Film Bar - Phoenix, AZ
- Oct 7, 2014 Cedar Lee - Cleveland Hts, OH
- Oct 10, 2014 Laemmle NoHo - Los Angeles, CA
- Oct 10, 2014 Cinema Detroit - Detroit, MI
- Oct 13, 2014 Magic Lantern Theatre - Spokane, WA
- Oct 17, 2014 Capitol Theater - Burlington, IA
- Oct 19, 2014 Cinematique of Daytona - Daytona Beach, FL
- Oct 26, 2014 The Roxie - San Francisco, CA
- Oct 28, 2014 New Parkway - Oakland, CA
- Oct 29, 2014 Second Act - San Francisco, CA
- Nov 1, 2014 Media Arts Center - San Diego, CA
- Dec 10, 2014 Austin Film Society - Austin, TX
- Jan 15, 2015 Nightingale - Chicago, IL